23 January 2009

Long medical day in the works

Today will be a long day. I start out by getting a Dacogen treatment at 7:30. Then around 9:30 I have to go to the blood centre and start getting transfusions - one unit of platelets and two units of red cells. I'm not really expecting to get to come home before 3:00 at the earliest.

Since I will be there on my own today, I'm thinking I will call Wild Flour Bistro to get them to deliver me some of their crab cakes for lunch. They are so nice about that.

I'll take my laptop as well as the book I'm reading just now. For any of you foodies who have not read it, I highly recommend, The United States of Arugula, or How We Became a Gourmet Nation. It starts out in the early days of the 20th century, goes through Craig Claiborne, Julia Child, James Beard, Alice Waters, Jerome Tower, etc. I'm a bit over halfway through the book and we're up to Mollie Katzen. I am really enjoying this book a lot. Some of this stuff I already knew, but even that is fun reading the behind the scenes stuff that went on. On a foodie board we've been talking about fennel pollen (famously used to flavour Purple Haze Goat Cheese - one of my favourite cheeses), and I never really knew how the goat cheese industry got started in the USA. Now I do.

Getting engrossed in a book is a wonderful way to pass the time.



Bookmark and Share

No comments: