05 February 2010

Friday ~ 5 February: Day 202

Time for another medical update. I've been putting this off, because I've been waiting to hear back from Vanderbilt. Since November my liver function tests have been high. When I went back for my last appointment on 21 January, they wanted me to wait ten more days, have the liver tests run locally, and the info faxed to them. That happened this past Monday.

Because the liver functions are still elevated, my doc at Vandy wants me to be tested to see if I have Graft vs Host Disease of the liver. This test involves me having to be put to sleep and a long needle stuck into my liver. Long time readers of this blog will remember that I HATE needles. I can barely stand to think about it. I will also have to spend the night afterwards in the hospital and see if they want to do any other tests or change any of my meds. Now is about the time when they would typically start reducing some of my anti-rejection drugs. With the liver abnormalities, they can't do that yet. If I do have liver GvHD, they will treat me with steroids. I don't know if they will put me with other transplant patients or on another floor entirely. I almost hope for another floor, because in the transplant section everything is incredibly boring beige. On the bright side, I won't have to be there too long. And I just got James Patterson's new book, Worst Case that I am saving to take with me to read.

I have been waiting all week for them to call and tell me when the procedure has been scheduled. As of tonight I still have not heard from them. However, Vanderbilt does have a computer program where I can check in and see my upcoming appointments. This afternoon, there was still nothing new. When I checked it again just now, I found out that I am scheduled to have this procedure Tuesday morning. Of course it would be Tuesday. Tuesday morning is when Mike and I have our parent/teacher conference with DD#2's advisor. I will e-mail the adivsor (who is also her French teacher) and see if we can possibly come in on Monday during her free period instead.

The idea of this needle thing really bothers me. My heart starts racing just thinking about it. I need to do a calming meditation before going to bed or I will never get to sleep. I'm not sure whether to hope I do have GvHD, cause they know how to treat it and keep it under control, or to hope it's not GvHd. I guess I will try to stay neutral and think positively.

namasté,
Bookmark and Share

5 comments:

Nancy said...

Becky,

You are in my thoughts and prayers. God Bless!

HUGS!!

Nancy

Cathy said...

Hi Becky - Just dropping by to say hi and hope you're doing OK. I'm sorry you have to go through this procedure. Needles are no fun. I think about you often and include you in my prayers every day. Hugs to you and wishes for a Happy Valentines Day.

Anonymous said...

Becky,
I will continue to watch for updates. My thoughts and prayers are with you! Enjoy your new book. Nothing helps me pass time better than a good book!
Peggy

Cora said...

Hi Becky,

Thanks so much for taking time to keep your blog friends up to date. Stay positive and know your health and well-being are always in my thoughts and prayers.

Love,
Cora

MileHighBaker said...

Becky, I'm right there with you in the needle department. Blech! Just spend time thinking up the upcoming nuptials and sweet dreams should follow. Prayers for a good outcome.