18 March 2009

Baileys Irish Cream Ice Cream

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream." - a little ditty I remember from my childhood. Interestingly I am not a huge fan of ice cream. Most of the time the commercial varieties are too rich and sweet for me. But I do enjoy homemade ice cream. And a Cuisinart ice cream maker has made it so easy to just decide to make ice cream and in half an hour it's ready.

Looking through my files for a St. Patrick's Day dessert, I ran across this recipe. I haven't made it in a long time, but it seemed like just the thing to end the holiday dinner.

First let's gather the ingredients:


Here are the first five ingredients in a 4 cup measuring cup:


All of the ingredients in a shamrock Fiesta mixing bowl, being mixed together with a stick blender:


Mixture poured into the frozen bowl of the Cuisinart ice cream maker and the dasher installed:


Now the clear lid is installed and the freezer turned on:


About 20 minutes later we have ice cream:


Strawberry fans:


Ready to serve (using seamist and decalled shamrock Fiesta) with shortbread cookies, coffee and more Baileys to top off the coffee (if desired):



Baileys Irish Cream Ice Cream

1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup Baileys Irish Cream Liqueur
3 eggs, beaten
enough milk to mix with above ingredients to bring to 1 quart
1 quart half & half
fresh strawberry fans for garnishing

Put sugars, Baileys and beaten eggs into a four cup measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 4 cups and blend. In a large bowl stir together the milk mixture with the half & half. Freeze in ice cream freezer according to manufacturers directions. Place in another container to store in freezer.

To serve, scoop into serving bowls and garnish with strawberry fans.

Notes:
1. I use a Cuisinart ice cream machine that has the bowl you store in the freezer. And it is for recipes like this one that I have an extra bowl. I divided the mixture in half and put half in one bowl to freeze. While it was freezing, I put the other half of the mixture in the refrigerator to stay cold. Then I froze it in the second bowl.
2. This ice cream has a very light texture and is just delicious. If you have ever had snow ice cream, that is the best description I can give of how this tastes. With the Baileys' flavour, of course.
3. The FDA & the USDA do not recommend that the young, the elderly and people with compromised immune systems eat raw eggs. Please use pasturised eggs in this recipe if you choose to make it.

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

Marge said...

Great recipe! I can't wait to try this one.