09 March 2009

Just another magic Monday

We woke up to a most beautiful day! Original forecast was for warm weather with chances of rain and thunderstorms. That has been revised to mostly sunny with 77° for the high. 80° is on tap for tomorrow. Oh SPRING, I am so happy you have dropped in. We slept with the balcony door open and I've been enjoying all the birds at the feeders this morning: tufted titmice, Carolina chickadees, cardinals, goldfinches, wrens and mourning doves. I made some photos, but haven't looked at them yet.

Saturday afternoon Mike drove me up to the farm and spring is in the air there, too. The daffodils are just gorgeous. The look I was trying for is becoming more apparent every year.


I Wandered Lonely As a Cloud
William Wordsworth - 1804

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed---and gazed---but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.


This has been my favourite poem all my life. Daffodils have always been my favourite flower. I have visualised what Wordsworth saw so many times. Five years ago I was lucky enough to be in the Lake District and at his homes in March (and on Daffodil Day). So I really got to see what he saw. In no way do I have as many daffodils yet, but we are getting there.

Every year I have planted more and they continue to multiply, Just last night I told my uncle in Louisiana that next year at spring break I should be well enough to come back over to my great-grandmother's house and dig up more. Her whole entire yard has gone to daffodils. Although she had them planted, since she crossed in 1965 they have spread out all over. And we all know daffodils need thinning periodically to keep blooming! LOL. At least that's what I have been telling my uncle all these years. And no matter how many I have dug over there, by the next year it has not been noticeable (except hers bloom more).


Mike and I are empty nesters this week as DD#2 is off in NYC. Last night we had wine and cheese out on the deck and watched the moon rise as day turned to night. It was quite lovely. I am hoping I am able to fix dinner tonight. In a few I'm going to see what's in the freezer, and what I can use from the veggie box. Always fun.

No medical stuff on tap today. YEA! I was also off on Friday. Such a treat to have four free days in a row. I go in tomorrow for my regular appointment and lab. Platelets will likely be on tap, but I ought to be good on red cells.

Last night Sally had to take my Mom to the hospital. She'd been trying to call and when she got no answer, she went over to check on her. Mom was in bed, still in her Saturday clothes. They've done lots of tests and haven't found anything wrong except for a few enzymes being off. I think this is a side effect of the chemo as the same thing happened to her the last time she was taking it. Mom got confused and slept a lot and wound up in ER. We also found out she hadn't taken any of her regular meds since Friday, and that's not good either. The docs seem to think that she got dehydrated and that threw off the enzyme levels They are keeping her till tomorrow to be sure she is fully hydrated and that all her blood levels of minerals, etc. are OK.

So things are looking up this morning. Mom is feeling much better and ate breakfast. Having much recent experience with hospital food, I suggested to Sally that she might want to go out and purchase food elsewhere to tempt Mom's appetite. Maybe she can at least come cut some daffodils from my yard to bring a little spring in the room to Mom!
Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh I miss you! I've not been keeping up with yer blog until today, and just know that you are in my prayers for all the transplant stuff.
Love, Love Love!

Becky said...

Thanks so much, sweetie. I'm keeping you in my prayers with your heart surgery, too. We both need to get well!