10 May 2010

Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream

I have never been huge fan of ice cream. It's not something I ever think about buying at the store. But I do sometimes like homemade ice cream. The first time I ever used this recipe, I had a plethora of figs at the farm. After tasting my first batch of Fig Ice Cream, I thought I had died and gone to ice cream heaven! It was that good. Since then I have also been making strawberry and peach ice creams with this recipe. Each of them is delicious.

We had lots of strawberries in the last veggie box, so Strawberry Ice Cream jumped to the top of the recipe list. And since I got a Cuisinart Ice Cream machine, making ice cream is a cinch.

Lovely strawberries


Milk, cream, egg and berries with lemon juice and sugar


Into the Cuisinart


Ice Cream! It's pretty soft so I put it in Tupperware in the freezer to cure for a while.





Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
2 cups chopped strawberries
1 Tbsp lemon juice
generous 3/4 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream, whipped slightly

Combine fruit, lemon juice and 1/4 cup sugar. Let stand until sugar is dissolved.

Add remaining sugar to egg in a saucepan over low heat. Add milk and stir constantly until mixture is thick and creamy. Combine fruit mixture with milk mixture and fold in the slightly whipped cream. Freeze in 2 quart ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's instructions.
namasté,
Bookmark and Share

No comments: