19 October 2008

Barefoot Bloggers: Apple Turnovers



On Barefoot Bloggers we officially make two recipes per month, but the person who sends the most visitors to the site, also chooses a bonus recipe. September's bonus recipe was Apple Turnovers and was chosen by Anne of of Anne Strawberry. I did not get to make it in September due to illness and being out of town. But better late than never! I got to bake these on Friday.

This week I got six apples in our CSA veggie box. Four of them were a bit on the smallish side, so I used them all.


Everything that comes in the veggie box is organically grown, so I did not see any need to peel the apples. I did dice them a bit smaller than Ina called for in the recipe.


On several sites that have reviews, people suggested adding more filling, usually doubling the 1/3 cup to 2/3 cup in each turnover. I did that as we like more filling than crust in our turnovers. This made them a bit larger, of course, so I only used one sheet of puff pastry and made four turnovers. I also chose to use a Silpat rather than parchment.


These baked up beautifully. It was all I could do to restrain myself from eating one fresh out of the oven. (Next time I won't be so good!)


Another thing that was suggested in one of the reviews was to cook any leftover filling into a sauce to serve over the turnovers. I did that and thought it was a nice addition. However, I won't just serve the turnovers with the sauce again. IMO, they really needed a dollop of whipped cream and a dash of cinnamon or a sprinkling of orange zest. The sauce on top only was just a bit plain. Still tasty, though!


To serve to our family, I cut the turnovers in half. (We'd already had that meal of Herb Waffles with Roasted Asparagus and Eggs a la Goldenrod.) We all loved the flavour combination of apple, orange and cherry with the cinnamon & nutmeg. Yummy. Not only that, I really felt like these were easy enough so that my teenage daughter can bake them, too. I will definitely be making these again.

Re: the sauce. The filling mixture really did make a nice sauce. I could see making the sauce only and serving it over ice cream, pound cake, etc.

Apple Turnovers
Ina Garten

1 teaspoon grated orange zest
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
1 1/4 pounds tart apples, such as Empire or Granny Smith (3 apples)
3 tablespoons dried cherries
3 tablespoons sugar, plus extra to sprinkle on top
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Pinch kosher salt
1 package (17.3 ounces, 2 sheets) frozen puff pastry, defrosted
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash

Preheat the oven to 400°F.

Combine the orange zest and orange juice in a bowl. Peel, quarter, and core the apples and then cut them in 3/4-inch dice. Immediately toss the apples with the zest and juice to prevent them from turning brown. Add the cherries, sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.

Flour a board and lightly roll each sheet of puff pastry to a 12 by 12-inch square. Cut each sheet into 4 smaller squares and keep chilled until ready to use.

Brush the edges of each square with the egg wash and neatly place about 1/3 cup of the apple mixture on half of the square. Fold the pastry diagonally over the apple mixture and seal by pressing the edges with a fork. Transfer to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Brush the top with egg wash, sprinkle with sugar, make 2 small slits, and bake for 20 minutes, until browned and puffed. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Click here to see what other Barefoot Bloggers think of this recipe.
Bookmark and Share

No comments: