15 October 2008

So much stuff!

I haven't blogged in a couple of weeks and I apologise. We got back from the Omega Institute on the 5th, and on the 6th I had to see the doctor and get transfusions of platelets and red cells. For a change I got the platelets first and had a reaction to them. Benadryl and solumedrol (sp?) in the IV and I continued on with red cells. But then I had spots all over and itchy palms until I went to bed that night.

The next day we packed to go to the beach. It was Fall Break for the girls. I was supposed to spend the week at the beach in Florida with friends, while Mike & the girls went to VA Beach. But as the medical stuff prevented me going to FL on my own, it made sense to go with the rest of the family. The doc wanted me to get another unit of platelets before we left on Wednesday morning, so that put us leaving just before noon. It was raining hard and there were a couple of accidents that slowed us down, so it was nearly dark when we were approaching Abingdon, VA. I had been really cold and we decided to stop for the night. After we got everything into the hotel, Mike took my temp and it was 105°. Yikes! The doc says I'm supposed to go in to his office or to the ER if my temp gets over 100.5°. We either had to go to a strange ER or head back home. So Mike reloaded the car and we turned ourselves toward home.

Now I have antibiotics on hand to take in case something happens, so I immediately took one of those as well as a benadryl. Wound up sleeping most of the 7 hours back and we got to the ER here at 2:00a Thursday. They gave me something to stop the chills and after 5 hrs in ER, they had my doctor check me into to the hospital. I was put on IV antibiotics and they ran a bunch of tests. Never did find out what was wrong and my blood counts had tanked again. Friday I got two more units of red cells, but no platelets.

Because I have no immunune system there were all kinds of weird things. When they took me from ER to the room, I had to wear a mask to filter out any airborne germs. I had to have my own individual stethescope, thermometre, blood pressure cuff, etc. No raw fruits or vegetables. No flowers in the room. And no black pepper.

So you all have heard before how I hate medical needles, blood, etc. I get really stressed with the IV and it was in for three days. Stress makes my fever blisters erupt. (Unfortunately I have two of those on my lips.) Fortunately that doesn't happen often, but this whole episode brought out both of them.

Finally on Saturday after lots of IV antibiotics and no fever for over 24 hours I got sprung, but I had to come home and rest. Sunday and Monday I was still trying to get over the fever blisters, so didn't do much of anything. Yesterday I was feeling a bit better and my Mom came over to visit for a while after her doctor appointment. The afternoon was spent looking through some cookbooks and I was thinking I might be doing pretty well today.

Well, during the night my mouth started bleeding again with all those gloppy clots. Sheesh! We had an appointment this morning but I called the doc and had to get blood tests this afternoon. Sure enough, my platelets are all low again, so I'm set up to get a transfusion of those tomorrow. Probably in the the afternoon. And this was supposed to be my week not to have to go do anything medical! At least I don't need any red cells tomorrow. Next week I start my fifth round of the Vidaza. I'm thinking positively and keeping my fingers crossed! And certainly am hoping that next week is better than this past one.

Bookmark and Share


RainbowDishes said...

Wow, that sounds like an ordeal you have been through. As you know, you are always in my thoughts in prayers. And I am praying that next week will be a spectacular week for you. Nobody deserves it more than you! :)

Take care and I hope you are feeling much better!

Ms. Val said...

WOW, Becky! What an ordeal! It's nice that you're not letting this ordeal completely rule your life--taking trips with the family; reading cookbooks, etc.

Stay strong, and we'll be thinking of you.

mary/saff said...

I hope you are feeling better real soon Becky.

Hugs and prayers to you, my friend.


bakinbits said...

Becky, I'm so sorry for all that you have been through and you said it -- hope next week is better than this one has been.

(((Hugs))) to you!

Mary said...

Becky, it sounds like you've been through a real ordeal. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Kristen said...

I was so happy to hear you are feeling a bit better. I have been lifting you up in prayer and will continue to do so. I miss you over at the cafe'!
Love your blog!
Kristen (schwarkie)

Anonymous said...


You have and remain in my daily healing thoughts and prayers. So happy that you are home with family and comforts (including black pepper).

Take it easy, stay strong and positive and keep the faith.

Lizzy said...

Becky, I'm so happy to hear you are out of the hospital...hoping you got your platelets without incident and can now relax and recover at home. You'll continue to be in my prayers!!!

Becky said...

Thank you all so much for your continued care, prayers and concerns. I appreciate them so much! Tonight I am feeling almost normal (well, at least as normal as I ever feel these days) and am hoping to actually COOK tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Becky, I just found this blog. Please know you are very special to us and that you are in our thoughts and prayers.


Hilary said...


Just wanted to let you know that I am Hilcooks (Hilary aka Rose47). I'm new to trying to figure out how to comment on this blog. Hope you had a feel good day today.