18 April 2010

My Kitchen Garden 2010

This year my kitchen garden has a new persona. Normally I garden at the farm in 4'×8' raised beds. This year I am technically not able to garden. Because of the transplant and my compromised immune system I cannot have my hands in the dirt. This is really hard for someone who loves to grow things, but I was able to devise a compromise. I am having a kitchen garden here in town in containers. My sister and nephew did all the planting. All I will need to do is water, harvest, and use the bounty in my kitchen.

I have a wonderful selection of plants: Lettuce Leaf basil, Genovese basil, Thai basil, Lime basil, Purple Ruffles basil, Red Rubin basil, Globe basil, lovage, French tarragon, savoury, rosemary, Mother of Thyme, variegated lemon thyme, orange thyme, lemon grass, lemon verbena, marjoram, oregano, chocolate mint, spearmint, Kentucky Colonel spearmint, red veined sorrel, pineapple sage, golden leaved pineapple sage, tricolour sage, purple sage, sage, cilantro, dill, flat leaf parsley, rosemary, chives, garlic chives, rose geranium, borage, several varieties of nasturtiums, Society garlic, Gypsy pepper, sweet banana pepper, jalapeño pepper, yellow pear tomato, and Sweet 100 tomato. I also have my trees that are permanent residents, moving inside during the winter and outside during the summer: bay, kumquat, calamondin, limequat or Meyer lemon (this tree lost its tag and I will find out which it is when it fruits this year), and cinnamon.

The herbs, peppers, and tomatoes came from our Botanical Gardens Spring Plant Sale. I always get most of my plants there each year as I like to support the Gardens and the growers always bring wonderfully healthy specimens.

Here are a few pics of my kitchen garden right after the containers were planted.

So ugly he's cute with marjoram for hair:


Herbs and trees:


More herbs and trees:


Herbs, flowers, tomatoes and peppers:


New to me this year - red veined sorrel:


namasté,
Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

Regina said...

Becky, what a selection you have? That is wonderful, and so attractive. Good for you -- you took lemons and made it into lemonade. I love your style!

Becky said...

Thanks Regina! I'm really excited about container gardening. That red-veined sorrel looked interesting to me. I found a recipe that uses it to make a sauce for Eggs Benedict that is similar to hollandaise I'm anxious to try.

Cheryl21 said...

Becky,

I am so impressed with your variety. My herb selection is quite boring and I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to use some of yours.

Love the "ugly" guy!

Becky said...

Thanks, Cheryl! I've been interested in growing and using herbs my whole adult life. Ergo, I've managed to collect a lot of books on them. I also have been to numerous herb workshops and am contemplating joining our local Herb Society.

I just pick out herbs that look interesting, knowing I can find some way to use them. LOL.

Never have cooked with pineapple sage before, but I plan to this year. I've only ever used the flowers in drinks and salads.