20 February 2009

Friday Medical Update

Today's neutrophil count: 0.17. Good news because that is double from yesterday!

I still have pneumonia, but my breathing is sounding better. I'm still on all the anti-drugs (biotic, fungal, viral) and the associated meds to keep me from getting sick from those. Yesterday afternoon, those somehow got off schedule and I had an episode of severe nausea, throwing up, etc., but have been back on track since.

This morning I woke up feeling better and had been awaiting platelets for several hours. When they finally sent some up, they were from an A+ donor. My blood type is O+. Type is not supposed to be an issue with platelets, but we have noticed that I have reactions to A and B platelets at least half the time. Today, of course, I had a reaction. And it started within 5 minutes of the transfusion starting. Before when I've had a reaction, it's been near to the end of or right after a transfusion. When I have a reaction I turn red and big welts appear all over me, particularly my face, arms, and legs. Mike stopped the platelets while I was calling the nurse. I had been premedicated with Tylenol and Benadryl, but that didn't help this time. They gave me Solumedrol and monitored my vitals for an hour.


All this was about 10:30. I'm pretty much back to normal now and they have ordered ABO matched platelets for me. It's now 3:00 and they just started the new transfusion. I premedicated again, this time with 50 mg IV Benadryl. I am begining to get very sleepy. They'll be doing something called HLA matching, but that won't happen until next week. In the meanwhile I will keep my fingers crossed for Os.

So now for the bigger news. It's official. I am definitely on the path to a bone marrow transplant. My hemotolgist has talked with the director of the transplant unit at Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute. and as soon as I am well enough to get out of here, I will see the transplant guy and proceed from there.
Bookmark and Share

9 comments:

Mary said...

Good job with the neutrophils, Becky! Sending more angels your way. Hope you have a good night.

Mary P.

Cora said...

What wonderful news - with the exception of the blood type matching issues, of course! Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Becky,
Thank you for the update. I'm glad you are feeling better, even if you do feel sleepy from all that benedryl.
Sleep well tonight and keep getting better. hugs, Joanie

Southerncook said...

I continue to check your blog everyday and also continue to keep you in my prayers. {{HUGS}} to you Becky.

Carolyn

Linda said...

That sound great Becky...
Be strong girl...you are already one of the strongest people I have ever seen...but I guess ya just gotta be stronger...
I am visualizing...and sending many prayers up for you...
Hang in there Becky!
Sleep well tonight!
L~xoxox

Martha said...

Becky, I, too am an O positive and wish I could give you some of mine!

We, after all, have the universal bloodtype to give but the hardest type to get.

Anonymous said...

Becky (((HUGS)))......


I'm so happy for you, that you are on the right path and getting better. I knew that angel on your shoulder was there always.

Stay strong and hang in there.....I'm still praying for you.

Erica

Anonymous said...

Becky:

Good news on the neutrophil multiplication.........YES! If I were closer, I'd give you some of my O+. Hope you had a good night's rest and feel better today.
Hugs

Jean said...

Dear Becky,
My name is Jean and I’m with the National Bone Marrow Transplant Link. Our organization helps patients, caregivers, and families cope with the social and emotional challenges of bone marrow/stem cell transplant from diagnosis through survivorship by providing vital information and personalized support services. We subscribe to Google blog alerts, where we found your story.
I wish you all the best on this difficult journey; please know that others are thinking of you and pulling for you!
If you would like to find out more about our programs and services, please visit www.nbmtlink.org or call 800-546-5268.