10 February 2009

Tuesday Medical Update

When it rains it pours.

Last night I noticed my left arm seemed swollen. My left arm is where they are supposed to put the new picc line today. Nurse looked at it and ordered an ultrasound. That was around midnight. Of course, no one has shown up to do that. Next they weighed me.

Just what everyone wants - I gained 20 pounds since Friday night. So the nurse was going to see if someone would order me some Lasix. I am very puffy all over, not just my left arm.

My temp spiked to 102.4° and I had a lot of chills again during the night. CRNP came to see me and ordered a new chest x-ray. All my counts are dreadfully low. Today my platelets are 5. I was supposed to get those around 2:00a, but the blood bank hasn't released them. I've also had anti-nausea meds and Lortabs again to fight off another round of fever and chills. Right now I am semi-normal.

Today's schedule - in no particular order
1. Start on Lasix
2. Have ultrasound on arm
3. Get 2 units of platelets
4. Get new picc line put in and old picc line taken out.
5. Have chest x-ray.
6. Get one unit of red cells.
7. Have more blood cultures.
8. Try to sleep some. As you might imagine, I didn't get many zzzzz's during the night.

At least the dietician and I have had a nice chat. I will be getting the Vegetarian menu from which to choose my food. There is actually edible stuff on there: Grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup, for example. My breakfast today was oatmeal, whole wheat toast and orange juice. Things I can eat!

Things here are not going as well as they possible could, so I ask for everyone's good vibes, healing thoughts and prayers. I'm doing all that and visualising like crazy.


Bookmark and Share

15 comments:

Duchess said...

Becky...

I am sending you every bit of positive energy that I can muster.

Laugh as you might, but Diane's (dianemorissy) kid's notion of sleeping with silver spoons under their pillows, flushing ice cubes down the toilet, and wearing their PJ's inside out and backwards...things that they did so that they might have a snow day...worked in our lives with a very difficult situation.

I had my entire family doing this one night. POWER!!! BELIEF!!! RESULTS!!!

Although the sleeping with the nightgown on backward had me dreaming of someone choking me...I will do this tonight and focus all my energy on you.

A friend of mine reminded me of my favourite show tune from the musical Carousel...When you Walk through a Storm!

You are walking through your own storm now and you are holding your head up high. With your spirit and will, I know that there will be positive results!!!

We are all with you!!!

Hugs...
Susan

webbie said...

I am sooo sorry that you are having to endure this. I hope you are better soon. Get some rest.

And just a little good news, I just read a survey of twins. Under 40 the heavier twin looks older, over 40 the reverse is true. So 20 extra pounds mean you look maaaahhhhhvelous, dahling!

Brenda

flowermom said...

Lots of good healing thoughts and hugs coming your way Becky! (((HUGS)))!!!

Eileen

Anonymous said...

Oh, Becky! Lots of prayers and good healing thoughts to you! And the hope that your vegetarian menu will make things a little more bearable!
Hugs, littletessa

Anonymous said...

Praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Becky;

You will be in my payers always....and I'm sending you healing thoughts.

I wish that I could reach for a special sparkling magical star for you......(((HUGS)))to keep you safe always.

Erica [teacup]

Anonymous said...

Becky -
Sending all the positive vibes from here in Kansas to you. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Becky:

My healing thoughts and prayers are going strong for you. As Susan mentioned, I too will wear my PJs backwards tonight! Keep on fighting and thinking positive!
Hugs,
Hilary

Mary said...

Hang in there, Becky! You have lots of people who care.

Hugs to you,
Mary

Robin said...

Sending good thoughts your way.

Dianne said...

more healing thoughts from me too

Linda said...

Becky...
Wrapping my arms around you with healing thoughts, prayers, visualization, and love....
Hang in there girl...miracles happen!
~xoxox

ChristopherM said...

Vibes your way, darlin'!

Southerncook said...

Becky,

Continued prayers for you. {{HUGS}}

Carolyn

maryt/theteach said...

Oh Becky, I hope you'll get better soon! I hope they find out what the problem is and treat it! My thoughts are with you! :)