06 February 2009

Later Friday Medical Update

RATS! Things can change at the drop of a hat. I thought I would be able to spend tomorrow cooking as I got all the transfusions today. Reds would give me energy and platelets meant I could make use of my knife skills. BUT... I started having fever and chills while I was getting my platelets. The rash got a lot worse, so when I finished the transfusion I had to go down and see the doc. All these symptoms are not good for a neutropenic person. I am now in the hospital. I felt better for a while, but now not so much. I think I'm gonna ask for a Lortab soon.

I'll be getting IV antibiotics, anti-fungals and anti-viral medications. Not sure how long I will be here. They want me to stay until my neutrophils get back up to 0.5. I haven't had a reading that high since the 17th of December. This whole slew of new drugs may help. It could be I have some kind of low grade infection that's keeping the neutrophils down.

So once again I ask for your healing thoughts, prayers, good karma and anything else you use that might help. And I thank you all in advance.

Bookmark and Share

5 comments:

Cora said...

What a day you've had! Cranking up the thoughts, prayers, good karma and concentrating in earnest on those numbers coming up. How's the food in the hospital?

Ms. Val said...

Becky, I'm so sorry. We'll be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

At least you have your computer. That ought to help pass the time somewhat.

Becky said...

Thank you both so much! I appreciate the concern, thoughts and prayers so much. And I seem to really need them now.

Cora, you don't really want to know about the food. LOL. I'm sincerely hoping they DON'T bring me what they call scrambled eggs for breakfast. Nasty yellow chewy dry pellets. Blech! From what I remember from last time they do make good pancakes, grits and tuna salad, though. My sister has offered to cook for me or pick up any restaurant food I'd like. She's a good sister!

Val, it really is great that they have wi-fi. Mike got my laptop all set up for me before he left this evening. As long as I'm not in one of the fever/chills cycles it really is a good thing to have. They have TV here, but the channels are very limited. No HGTV or FNTV, the only two channels I watch much. The two best choices are the Game Show Channel and the History Channel. The computer is much better.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Rats, Becky...hate to hear that you are back in the hospital. Hope that WBC count comes up soon and you are fever free ASAP.
Liz

flowermom said...

Lots of healing thoughts coming your way Becky!!Lots of germ free cyber hugs too!