05 February 2009

Kolacky

This is our all time favourite cookie recipe in the whole world! When my aunt was first married (1950ish), she moved from a little town in Louisiana to an apartment in Chicago. Her neighbor was a Polish lady who took my aunt under her wing. This recipe came from that neighbor. We are forever grateful!

Dough rolled out and beginning to be filled

I use an assortment of fillings. This group has homemade strawberry jam, homemade blueberry jam, Solo apricot filling and Solo cherry filling.

Cookies on the Silpat and ready to go in the oven


Baked


And sifted with confectioners sugar



Kolacky

1 pound butter
8 ounces cream cheese
3 cups sifted flour
6 tablespoons cream
1 package dried apricots or prunes
sugar
powdered sugar

Cream butter and cream cheese. Add flour and cream. Make a stiff dough and freeze. Meanwhile cook fruit in a small amount of water until tender. Add a little sugar, to taste. Don't get the filling too sweet.

Thaw the dough and roll 1/8 to 1/4" thick. Cut in 2 inch squares and place a little filling in the center of each. Fold two opposite corners together across center, overlapping points slightly. Leave the other two corners unfolded. Bake at 375°F about 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar.

Notes: I admit to taking a shortcut and using Solo brand fruit fillings in these. Besides apricot and prune, we really like cherry, strawberry and blueberry. Sometimes I use my homemade jams. They are not as sweet as the store-bought variety.

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Cora said...

Dean's grandmother immigrated from Czechoslovakia as a young woman and ended up in Cicero IL. She made the most wonderful Hoska (egg bread) and Kolacky. I've mastered the bread, but I've left the Kolacky to my sister-in-law. Her efforts are good, but not exact. We'll try these for comparison - they look perfect!

Becky said...

Cora, I've been told there are a number of different Kolacky recipes, but as I grew up eating this one, it's obviously the one I prefer. They are just melt in your mouth delicious. Hope you enjoy them, too!