02 February 2009

Groundhog Day & treats

Happy Groundhog Day! That groundhog up North apparently saw his shadow this morning, so the people up there will likely be having six more weeks of winter. HOWEVER, at 6:33am CST, Beauregard Lee, the official groundhog of the South came out and said, "Just checked outside. Didn't see my shadow. It's for sure... an early spring." Go Beau!!!

The thought of an early spring makes me most happy. When the girls were little I often made these Groundhog treats to celebrate the early spring (or even if we were stuck with more winter). Of course we had to take them in for the whole class, so I would make the candy groundhogs a day or so ahead.




Groundhog Cupcakes

They're fairly easy. To make the groundhogs you need Mounds candy bars, mini brown M&Ms, candy eyes, white Tic Tacs and some melted chocolate. Use the melted chocolate to attach the M&Ms for ears and cheeks, the candy eyes and the Tic Tac for a tooth. I like to get these made first.

Then bake a batch of your favourite chocolate cupcakes. When they are baked and cooled, cut a little section out of the centre so the candy bar can fit down in it. Frost the cupcakes with your favourite white icing and sprinkle with chocolate crumbs that you made from the sections of cupcakes you removed. Finally, insert the candy groundhog.

The children always love these treats.

BTW, Beau can claim a 94% accuracy rating with his predictions while the pampered impostor up North can only manage 85%.
Bookmark and Share

6 comments:

Mary said...

What a cute cake! I'll accept your groundhogs spring news...I want it early!

Caribbean Dreamer said...

This is so cute! Sometimes I wish I had kids around to do fun stuff like this with.

Cora said...

Becky, I just sent this link to all my friends with young kids, and my friends who are already grandmothers. Too cute!

Becky said...

Thanks ladies. I'm so glad you all like them. These kinds of things were so much fun to do with the girls. I think they could be a dessert for a garden party, too.

Anonymous said...

Becky,
I love your humor, but I really love your adorable cupcakes. It is a terrifically fun idea for kids.

Would you be so gracious as to add it to the kids recipes page? I know some mom's that will really love it. Mention your blog and I'm sure some of them will pop on over for a good browse.

Also, let me invite you and your friends to enter your favorite Valentine ideas in my Valentine ideas contest. You may win a delicious prize. :)

Blessings,
Angie

Becky said...

Thanks Angie. Your site is great!