08 December 2008

Just another manic Monday

I got in such a rush this morning I forgot to post the Christmas countdown. But all's well that ends well.

This morning I woke up before 2:00 with my nose bleeding. Then I couldn't go back to sleep, 'cause it wouldn't stop bleeding. My doctor appt. was at 8:00 and I was trying to keep as much blood inside me as possible til then. The lab typed and crossmatched me when they saw my problem and went ahead and ordered platelets. Platelets are in short supply right now, but they were able to secure me some for this afternoon. Saw the hematologist. He agrees with the surgeon that the port has to come out. And told me that less than 5% of people have problems with ports. I really didn't need to be in that elite group. Tomorrow afternoon I see the surgeon. My hematologist is hoping he can take the port out on Wednesday, but we shall see.

After I saw the doc this morning I had to get more Vancomycin by IV. Mike and I had enough time between that and when my platelets were to arrive to go get some lunch. We went over to Wild Flour Bistro where I had the house salad with peanut pepper dressing and crab cakes. Mike had the Mediterranean salad with grilled chicken. Then it was off to get the transfusion. The platelets were waiting on me and they got me hooked right up. We actually got finished around 2:00.


When I got home I was still pretty sleepy from the Benadryl. Abbey had been here all day and the housekeeper was here, cleaning up a storm. Today she got all the World's Fair dishes in the foyer taken down, cleaned and put back up. They are just sparkling.

Abbey was thrilled to tell me that Donnie is getting her a puppy for Christmas. She has been wanting a Morkie and that's what he found for her. The little girl is in Montana and will fly down here. She will arrive either this Sunday or on the 23rd. They are not sure yet. Abbey of course is hoping for Sunday. I'm so happy for her!

I am scheduled to go back to the doc at 8:00 in the morning for more Vancomycin. Then I see the surgeon tomorrow afternoon. Wednesday I see the doc, get Vancomycin, get platelets and hopefully have the port come out. I asked them could they take out the bad one on the left side and put me in a new one on the right side all in the same surgery, but no one seemed very taken with that idea. Personally, I'd like to get it all over with in one fell swoop.

Due to this infection and the port problem, I did not start the second round of Dacogen today. It will crash my white count back down to nothing again and we need my shoulder to get better first. If the surgery happens Wednesday, the hematologist is wanting to start Dacogen a week from today. I'm thinking about that. Knowing how I feel every week during the 4 week cycle, I am tempted to talk with him about skipping December altogether and starting up again in January. Not sure though. It will require careful consideration.

And just as an aside, I am so glad to be typing on my laptop again and have my O key mostly work. Donnie worked on it last night while Abbey and DD#2 worked on the Gingerbread House. He also fixed it so I can print to the printer on our network.

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I'm so sorry your port has to come out..rats! I'll be thinking of you tomorrow, Becky...

Becky said...

Thanks Liz. I have surgery tomorrow afternoon to take it out. But I'm thinking positively!