14 November 2008

Shredded Brussels Sprouts

Brussels Sprouts seem to be either one of those vegetables that people either really love or really hate. Until I saw Ina Garten roast them years ago, I think I leaned toward the latter group. And I know my spouse did. I also know that the frozen Brussels sprouts that were all we had available as kids were just plain nasty. But Ina's roasted recipe opened new doors for us.

Some years later I ran across this recipe for Shredded Brussels Sprouts from a friend on one of the foodie boards. It's by Sara Moulton and can be found on the FNTV website. There it says the recipe is courtesy of Gourmet Magazine, but I have not been able to find it on the Epicurious website. Regardless, this really is a delicious way to prepare the sprouts and I find myself making it about as often as Ina's Roasted Brussels Sprouts.

Looking yummy and on the table to serve


Started out with a stalk of fresh Brussels sprouts from Fresh Market


Soaking in my large Scarlet Fiesta mixing (aka to HLC as baking) bowl


Shredded and being sautéed in the skillet


Lime juice added - they're nearly done


And a nice serving in a vintage yellow Betty Crocker bowl



Shredded Brussels Sprouts
Sara Moulton, via FNTV

1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp water
Juice of 1/2 lime

Soak whole sprouts in a large bowl of cold, salted water to clean. Then trim and discard ends and any bitter outer leaves. Cut each in half lengthwise, then slice thinly across width.

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute sprouts with salt and pepper until they start to brown. Add water and cook until barely limp, about 4 minutes. (The water changes the action from sauteing to steaming.) Stir in lime juice and serve immediately.

Notes:
1. I did not weigh the sprouts that were on the stalk, just used all of them.
2. As I was really tired, DD#2 took over this recipe. She did the shredding, cooking and serving.
3. Tonight used the juice of a whole lime. We really do think the lime makes this dish special. If you don't have lime, try a lemon.
Bookmark and Share

No comments: