20 November 2008

Thursday health update, cooking and a housekeeper

Mike and I got an early start this morning and the folks at the blood centre were waiting for me. They were able to get me platelets early, so I got those first and luckily had no reaction. Then I got the two units of red cells. Everything went very smoothly. The Benadryl kept me asleep the whole time and we got home around 2:00p. Except for the mental wear and tear of having to get that done, I'm feeling pretty good this evening. Very tired, but good. And to celebrate, I have poured myself a glass of prosecco.


Tomorrow I go to the surgeon and the nurses today told me a couple of things to have him look at. They think the port needs to be x-rayed again as something doesn't seem just right. All I know is that my whole shoulder and neck are hurting and it's difficult to even move my arm.

After I rested for awhile I cooked a batch of plain cranberry sauce with the second large bag of cranberries from Costco. It's good to get that taken care of for this holiday.

I also made the plunge and called my niece about her housekeeper working for me also. I think at first we will have her come everyday (on days she's not working for my niece) until we can get some order restored around here. Everything has been so neglected for months! Then maybe she can come one or two days a week to do the basic cleaning and whatever laundry she has time for in an 8 hour day. I feel really guilty about this. But Mike says he doesn't want me to worry about doing it, and even if I could clean, we'd rather me spend my energy cooking or doing other things that give me some joy rather than the drudge stuff. She's going to start the week after Thanksgiving. I know this is a good thing, because I do fret about the state of the house. So here's looking to happier, more organised, and squeaky clean days ahead!

Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

Southerncook said...

Becky, It sounds like your day getting blood went well. You sound very upbeat. Thats a good thing. {{HUGS}} BTW, I think it is a very smart move getting someone to clean your house for you. DH is a smart man wanting you to do only the things you love to do and I am sure cleaning a house is not one of them. Carolyn

bamadisher said...

Becky, I just finished reading all your November posts. I started to email you and then found your blog. So glad you got the port and hopefully if there is an infection, the antibiotic will soon squelch it. All your recipes are wonderful. I will definitely be trying several of them, but at the top of my list is the crock pot apple butter. Sounds like something even I can do! Take care, Michael Bailey

Maria (upstate) said...

Becky, I'm so glad you decided on a housekeeper. I've been after Ron for months to get one but he's insisting on doing it all, which makes me feel very guilty. I'm hoping he'll change his mind.

Big hugs...

Becky said...

Carolyn & Maria, I am feeling better about the housekeeper thing now that I have actually made the decision and slept on it. We are planning to have her come on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday the week after Thanksgiving to try to get things in some semblance of order. After that I'm thinking a couple of days a week or maybe even one day a week will be a godsend. Mike has been trying to do everything, but you know when you have a teenager still at home with all their associated activities, there are just not enough hours in the day. Particularly when he's trying to go stay with me during transfusions. treatments and such. I like to cook. I don't like to clean.

Michael, I need to e-mail you! Was thinking about that yesterday. Thank you so much for your kind words about the recipes. I want to invite you and Rick to dinner when I get to feeling better. And get the house cleaned up! LOL. I'm being very brave to trust someone with my dishes! You will easily be able to make the apple butter. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.